Tradui is a Creole to English, English to Creole translation for the iPhone and Android. Tradui, Creole for "translate", is an application for translating from Creole to English and English to Creole. The data for this application was extracted with permission from the HaitiSurf Creole to English Dictionary. All of the translation capabilities of Tradui are available offline. Tradui was built by Intridea for Crisis Commons as part of Crisis Camp DC. Additional work was done by members of CrisisCamp Haiti on 1/23 in DC, Boston, and Boulder.
This app is primarily intended for use by on-the-ground aid workers during the Haiti crisis, but is made freely available for anyone to use.
Also see Translation_Applications for a more general overview of the CC Translation Application efforts
- Coordinator: Chris Selmer
- irc.rhok.net #tradui
- The iPhone version 1.0 was submitted for review to the App Store at approximately 1:00 PM EST on 01/19/10
- The Android version 1.0 was released on Android Marketplace at approximately 4:30 PM EST on 01/19/10
Also see Translation_Applications for the projects related to the repository to support these and the tools to ingest the needed info from translators
- Pictographs - Since 50% of Haitians are illiterate, provide simple images that can be used in emergencies, such as First Aid, Water, Hospital, Bandage, etc.
- Phrases that will be useful for aid workers on the ground, along with translations
- Audio Phrasebook - it would be great if we could get audio recording of some of these phrases to help on-the-ground workers communicate
- Ability to sych dictionary / phrasebook / pictographs with web-based repository. This will allow us to push out new phrases, better translations, new pictographs to the app without having to release an entire new app each time.
Branches and Prototypes
- A branch is being worked on in Boston by jesstess, adamf, grahams, giles. Talking in #tradui . The branch is available at http://github.com/grahams/Tradui.
- added pictograph images for a few objects (see TraduiPictographs)
- added two extra columns to the translation DB which will be used for image and audio links
- Added example audio files (Haitian translations for the pictographs)
- A prototype of pictographs is also available at Pict-o-speak_Mobile_Application
See Translation Applications for general information on translation resources and teams.
Official Website: Tradui for iPhone and Android
GitHub Open Source Repository:
1/16 Project Team
- Brendan Lim
- Jonathan Nelson
- Chris Selmer