Background Information on Pakistan/2010 Floods
- [CRO Situational Reports]
- Media Monitoring
Urgent Tasks That Anyone Can Do
Back to main pak page: http://wiki.crisiscommons.org/wiki/Pakistan/2010_Floods
- Open Street Map - CONTINUOUS - Mapping roads, towns etc in the Swat & Kabul river valley lowland areas, naming towns/villages, marking towns/villages affected by the floods.
- More detail available on OSM wikipage
- --URGENT-- Geocoding needed for pkfloods
- suwanee i am working on the tasks decoding
- elgrodo is looking at this currently (BKK, 4/9/2010, 1030am)
- Help available at Tools/OSM & OpenStreetMap
- Language trangeocoding slation needed too - see below
- POC - Katie Filbert: @filbertkm
- Ushahidi data entry - CONTINUOUS - verify/translate data input
- Webpage for this is http://pakreport.crowdflower.com
- Help available at Tools/Crowdflower
- Can't find a location? Multiple locations come up? Check out from PakReport.org Crowdflower for a bunch of useful resouces listed: http://groups.google.com/group/PakReport-volunteers/web/mapping-links. Here you will find spreadsheets with lists of cities and lat and long. There are at least 4 different spreadsheets with data of different levels of authorship and authentication, so keep looking!
- Use getlatlon.com to get latitude/longitude information, it's nice.
- Helpful blogpost here!
- Need help with a location name? Try tweeting the question including the handle @sanasaleem or @farhanmasood or @Ali_Abbas_Zaidi or @hushamahmed @DrAwab
- Detailed task list from PakReport.org:
- create KML file with boundaries of CU and Tehnsils → http://pakgis.blogspot.com/ here there are some issue to be solved in Ushahidi: area KML files conflict with clusterization, Atlanta deployment solve it (no idea how)
- create KML files from following data→ http://agstest.pdc.org/rest/services/Pakistan/PAKISTAN_FLOOD/MapServer (we already have bridges and villages)
- insert this data into the map (OSM?)
- photos> look for pictures on line, Flickr and media monitoring and add them to the platform → would be great to have the pictures showing on a window when clicking on the dot, like Google Map
- translate this page into urdu→ http://www.pakreport.org/ushahidi/page/index/2
- media monitoring, especially Twitter and Facebook, but also add media sources---> go to https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AjKkO3odnjoedFBmZTVyVmU5cXJTTmRxcHFEN0FCUnc&hl=en#gid=2
- 3W → file to be inserted in the platform→ we will create a 3W category https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Alegu6P0w1aOdDdKYjIxOEJYX05ael8tV2k0WG9feVE&hl=en
- --URGENT-- Union Councils locations & School Shelters
- Instructions: http://eden.sahanafoundation.org/wiki/Pakistan
- Live site at http://pakistan.sahanafoundation.org
- Test site at http://test.eden.sahanafoundation.org
- visit http://webchat.freenode.net/ and enter "#sahana-eden" into the channel.
- Help available at Tools/Sahana
- TweakTheTweet - CONTINUOUS - Convert pkfloods tweets into Ushahidi/Sahana-readable format
- Publicise hashtag #pkfloods and SMS short code 3441 FL to people in Pakistan, govt agencies and NGOs. “Text FL and your observations about the disaster and your location so we can put this on a map.”
Translation (Urdu / Pashtu) Tasks
- Translating OpenStreetMap instruction: OSM needs help with translating the OpenStreetMap interface, as well as Potlatch and OpenLayers, via translatewiki.net. If anyone needs help getting going on translatewiki, KatieFilbert can help. JOSM can be translated via launchpad. Walking papers can also be translated: paperwalking. OSM still needs help with Haitian Kreyol, as well as Urdu and many other languages. Having OSM in one's native language obviously will make it much easier for people to use.
- Ushahidi -URGENT- translate Urdu and Pashtu messages into English
- Transcribe BBC lifeline content from BBC lifeline radio for use in Sahana/Ushahidi
- see Jeannie Stamburger
- Create Facebook data feed -POSSIBLE SOLUTION BELOW-
- Get comments from pkfloods facebook group exported vis rss so it can be imported into Ushahidi. This is currently not possible in Facebook groups so Simon Hilton (email@example.com) has emailed Facebook to see if this can be done.
- Silicon Valley has worked out two possible solutions: we can export to RSS using this Python script, but also can't we just have wall posts be sent out as an email and then feed the email into Ushahidi? What is better?
- GeorgeChamales from Ushahidi/ CC SiliconValley has a) said that this is a very good thing for Ushahidi and suggested using the Facebook API for this feed - he's offering support for anyone who wants to pick up this task.
- Sahana programming in Python
- Pkfloods bugfixes: http://eden.sahanafoundation.org/wiki/PakistanDevelopers
- See http://eden.sahanafoundation.org or Gavin Treadgold or Fran Boon (flavour on IRC)
- Ushahidi programming - needed for pakreport.org
- See bugs and features list at http://dev.pakreport.org/wiki
- Ham radio project – team doing this; JeannieStamburger (SV) leading
- ReliefOversight Drupal project - team doing this; David White @dwrudy (Boston) leading, linked to London camp. We got several volunteers for Drupal coding, including people who responded to an IT4Communities call (thanks to Anne Stafford). We have two Drupal projects at the moment: ReliefOVersight’s pkfloods donation-tracking site and CDAC; ReliefWeb is also going Drupal and looking at apps but that will probably be later this year.
- K4Health toolkit --URGENT-- help build the K4Health information toolkit
- Wiki updates - see pkfloods wikis
- ESRI website - see Pakistan Flooding site
- ESRI contact: Jon W. Nystrom firstname.lastname@example.org
- Find datafeeds for Sahana
- Sahana needs a quality data feed - can anyone out there comment on how to do this?
- Tell Kate Starbird/ Gavin Treadgold
- Inform people affected by floods and other volunteers
- Help populate http://pakistan.wikia.com/wiki/Floods_2010_Resources
- Broadcast: Which tools are up and running and how people can help with them
- Broadcast: Which information sources and channels are up and running and how people can help
- Check list of pkfloods active groups
- Check Pakistan/2010 Floods/groups - have we missed anyone? Extraordinaries? Star-tides? Camps we haven't listed? Anyone else you can think of?
- Check list of pkfloods active NGOs
- Check CrisisWiki list of NGOs active in Pakistan Floods against UN-published lists
- Help available at Tools/CrisisWiki
- Check out ACTED work on pkfloods
- see ConferenceCall notes from 14-8-10 for details 14 August 2010 Conference Call
- Check language needs
- Check with each tool provider, e.g. does OSM/Ushahidi/Sahana etc need instructions translating into Urdu and/or local Pashtu?
- Organise translators and translation tasks
- (see US coordinator from Haiti?)
- Connect with DfID
On the Ground (i.e. in Pakistan) Tasks
- mapping tasks in Sukkur/ Sindh
- (see Fawad Hussein via Shoaib Burq)
- Other UN? tasks
- volunteers needed to check & filter emails (office space & connectivity available)
- data entry as many reports are coming in and consolidation is needed (office space & connectivity available)
Tasks that need more information adding
- Populate Hack4Pak Crisis Apps site
- : put on hold until Matt McNabb has this site up and running.
- Populate Digital Gazette http://digitalgazette site
- : awating further guidance from Matt McNabb
- SA Relief (http://sarelief.com) has a request for volunteer support on the Corporate Response Initiative. We need help in populating the Wiki with corporatations who have a donor matching program for the Pakistan Flood Relief. http://pakistan.wikia.com/wiki/Corporate_Response_to_Floods_2010
- SA Relief (http://sarelief.com) has a request for volunteer support to help in updating the Flood Relief 2010 Wiki with fresh content shared over Social Media channels, particularly through Twitter hashtags: #PkFloods, #PkFlood, #HelpPakistan. http://pakistan.wikia.com/wiki/Floods_2010
- Task management application
- Source code repository
Temporary Project Tracking: Camp Task Coordination
A bunch of camps are joining CrisisCamp London and Cambridge, i.e. Silicon Valley, Toronto, Australia. See Pakistan 2010 Floods page for upcoming camps
Spreadsheet for camp coordination/tracking: Pakistan Tasks