Conference call - Gulf Coast Oil Spill-April 30, 2010
Conference Call Notes
- Feel free to augment, edit, expand, add names etc.
- asked folks to take self attendance
- Intro to Crisis Commons
- cities on the line: NYC, Chicago, Miami, DC, Toronto, LA, NOLA
- Requested information from folks who may have people deployed. No contacts atm
- Is anyone interested in creating a crisis camp in the gulf states?
- Gulf area contact _ Lisa? Not ready to volunteer, but here to learn about us in NOLA
- Sloane here from NOLA to help.
- Donna from Humanity Road here to listen and help in whatever way can
- Crisis Wiki - Andy Carvin giving overview
- local communities can add and share content to learn and help
- id'ed states and cities that will be directly affected.
- using NPR and his acct for outreach
- consider it a web yellow pages resource of links etc. to help manage the info flow
Everyone: We need volunteers to begin adding resources for areas affected by the spill, in particular Louisiana and Mississippi
Crisis Camp NOLA?
- need to determine if this is feasible. Sloane (@crisiscampnola)? others?
Action: Heather B. to connect with Sloane about NGOs and outbound connections NOLA
Mobile app to help
- tag, picture, and video any animals or areas affected
- look into Project NOAH to look into endangered species. This could be morphed for Oil Spill work
- Lawyer Paul ____ offering help to connect code, host it. (Heather B to connect)
- looking to build partnerships to be able to build mobile apps. Picture and national short code can be connected
- use short code, pictures and video collective partnerships to share
- we have some mobile app developers to help on this (CGIA etc)
- Paul advised that getting a short code via telcos to get new one takes time
- Andy used moses short code. Might be quick solution to implement faster.
- Geotag and video/pictures can be used in court. Be aware. Time/location can really help with the environmental post action reports (Richard)
ACTION: Heather B to talk with Paul
Decision: Andy's advise on the short code to be confirmed
- best practice to link mobile app to Usahidi and OSM
- need a list of NGO folks on the ground
- our usability experts will need to touch base on requirements and needs
- Determine how/if Ushahidi can consume geotagged pictures
- Active Media may manage the back-end for Mobile app platform
- Richard McCreight of NEOS, LTD spoke about increasing Situational Awareness,and Tactical Imaging/Mapping with Web publishing (e.g., Google Earth). Using off-the-shelf technology and team enterprise partners, end-to-end intelligence is delivered. *Focuses on threat, risk, response, impact, and recovery based on scientific approach.
- George Williams (@humidcities) suggested @Sophielab at NCCROW/Tulane would be interested.
- Leisa Fearing, a prior visiting scholar there volunteered to contact them.
- Eric -State university Center (LSU)- interested in helping with back-end web services. works with LA schools.
- Nikki V. University of Lafayette. Suggested offline talk with the universities.
ACTION: Heather B. to connect with the universities and determine hosting and academic partnerships. George Williams & Leisa Fearing to send contact info
US Coast Guard
- Ryan Bank will put in details of what is necessary for the Coast Guard to see crowdsourced information as valid.
- talking with John Crowley (OSM core leader and awesome presenter. This demonstrated the awesome power we can achieve when we collaborate (Where 2.0: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJvR84UX5RI))
- be aware that there will be volunteer and citizen requirements
- decision makers need to determine the standards, requirements and then the volunteer effort will be more successful
ACTION: Heather B to follow-up with Ryan
National Wildlife Federation
- not resourced to be lead, but wants to participate, drive traffic and create awareness
Humanitarian Road, Sierra Club Billy
Action: Heather B to connect with both
- Donna (Org) - offered to help with volunteer requirement